Fashion of the Golden Globes

Deborah Gomez, Writer

The Golden Globes is the only major award show that involves recognition in both film and television. It gives a sense of who might win the big categories at the Oscars. This was the 74th Golden Globes, it was hosted by Jimmy Fallon and took place on January 8th, 2017 in Los Angeles. Not only is it a kick off to award season but to all the glitz and glamour when it comes to fashion.
When we recall what was seen the most on the red carpet in 2016 we think back to the “Naked Dress” trend, with big celebrities like Jennifer Lopez, Kim Kardashian and Queen B (Beyonce) herself wearing it. This years red carpet we leave the naked dress behind and move on to ballgowns with chiffon, embroidery, beading, lace feathers and frills with subtle hues. A perfect example of this breakout style was star Lily Collins wearing Rob Zangardini and Mariel Haenn. With a pink embroidered couture ball gown paired with bright red lips and a messy top bun, the actress didn’t disappoint.
The red carpet was packed with stars dressed up in the finest offerings from the world’s best designers and some of the worse…. Emma Stone not only stole the show with her many nominations and wins all through out the show for her Academy Award winning movie “La La Land,” but her dress designed by Valentino had a classic monochrome look. It featured metallic silver star embellishments all over her gown paired with a diamond statement necklace from Tiffany and Co.
One of the looks that stood out to me the most and not in a good way was Carrie Underwood, She ditched her usual princess style gowns to a pink Iris Serban dress.The dress was said to resemble pink frosting. As for myself I thought Carrie tried to bring back 80’s ruffle dresses back and did not succeed. She was one of, if not, the worse dressed of the night.
Lastly I’d like to talk about the most breathtaking gown of the night. Model, Olivia Culpo walked the red carpet wearing a hand painted floral Zuhair Murad couture ball gown. She paired it with gold earrings, a statement ring, a dramatic smokey eye and a braided up do much like Frida Kahlo used to wear. For sure she was the boldest look of the night and in my pick Best Dressed.
The Golden Globes was a night to remember not only for the amazing recognition in Film and TV but a night to go down in fashion history.

• Fashion of the Golden Globes

News

Five SHS Students Ace Medical Billing & Coding Certification

• Fashion of the Golden Globes

News

Sharyland Academic UIL Team Wins District, Regional Championship: 11 Advance to State

• Fashion of the Golden Globes

News

Sharyland High School’s Top Three to Continue Leadership Path

• Fashion of the Golden Globes

News

SHS Honors Super Achievers

• Fashion of the Golden Globes

A & E

The Sally Spectre Show Story

• Opinion

Reflecting on Trump’s First 100 Days as President

• Community

Mariachi Nuevo Cascabel Spring Show

• Opinion

The Pressures of Social Media

• Fashion of the Golden Globes

Editorial

Student Excuses

• Lifestyles

Traveling

Fashion of the Golden Globes