Lalaland (2016)

Alicia Salinas, Writer

Cast: Emma Stone, Ryan Gosling, and John Legend

Director: Damien Chazelle

Synopsis: Emma Stone (Mia) plays an aspiring actress auditioning for multiple roles and Ryan Gosling (Sebastian) plays a jazz pianist who fall in love with each other in the city of Los Angeles, California. In this story, Emma and Ryan’s characters keep bumping into each other at different events until they eventually become friends then lovers. Throughout the telling of their love story their characters have to battle between their careers and their romantic relationship.

Review

In this film, Mia (Emma Stone) and Sebastian (Ryan Gosling) tell a compelling story of two people falling in love and jumping over the many obstacles life throws at them, all with a musical element tied to it. The couple has to go through problems that come in between their relationship and their chance to excel in their dreams for their careers. Their ability to break into songs and dance sequences all throughout the movie helps their characters’ relationships evolve into something that can only be described as beautiful.

The musical score and dancing routines gives anybody who watches it a special, special experience. The fascinating tap sequences along with their beautiful piano-filled melodies makes this movie one for the books. It’s rare seeing a movie like this that everything seems like it just belongs together like puzzle pieces. The cinematography and color palette of bright beautiful colors doesn’t just make this film captivating by its storytelling, but also extremely appealing to the eye. This cinematic experience made myself be compelled to go to the “City of Stars” or in other words, Los Angeles, California. How could I not fall in love with this city, where they decided to shoot in the most eye-catching of places.

This movie’s musical element is a big part of why this film is as amazing as it is. Damien Chazelle’s decision to implement Justin Hurwitz’s melody of “City of Stars” all throughout the film and give it a theme was a big factor of the almost-magical element to this film. It has all the elements of a classic movie and all the elements of the typical Hollywood experience, which gives this movie a real but surreal experience at the same time. This film is hypnotic in every single aspect.

• Lalaland (2016)

News

Five SHS Students Ace Medical Billing & Coding Certification

• Lalaland (2016)

News

Sharyland Academic UIL Team Wins District, Regional Championship: 11 Advance to State

• Lalaland (2016)

News

Sharyland High School’s Top Three to Continue Leadership Path

• Lalaland (2016)

News

SHS Honors Super Achievers

• Lalaland (2016)

A & E

The Sally Spectre Show Story

• Opinion

Reflecting on Trump’s First 100 Days as President

• Community

Mariachi Nuevo Cascabel Spring Show

• Opinion

The Pressures of Social Media

• Lalaland (2016)

Editorial

Student Excuses

• Lifestyles

Traveling

Lalaland (2016)